Monday, July 13, 2009

How do I get my windows desk top files on my Linux one?

I just recently downloaded Linux (Ubuntu 7.04, I believe, it's old because my CPU couldn't handle 8) and I got it all installed and running, but I can't get the files that were on my desktop in Windows onto my desktop in Linux. Copying takes too much space and I can't figure out how to make a short cut.





Additional information available at request.

How do I get my windows desk top files on my Linux one?
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question correctly. I'm not quite sure why you want the files from your windows desktop to be on your Linux desktop...


If copying and pasting takes too much space, then just travel down to their original location. You should have an icon to your Windows partition on your desktop, but if not you can browse down to /media/windows.





As far as the last question goes, You wrote..."How do I use programs from windows?"


If you want to use the Windows programs, you can:





A: reboot into Windows and use them in Windows


B: find the linux or open source alternative to the windows program you were using and us it instead.


C: install the Windows-based application in Linux using WINE.





Of those 3 options, B is the easiest. The linux alternative to whatever windows program you want to run is probably already installed with ubuntu. If you absolutely have to have a windows app, then try options A or C.





If I completely misunderstood your question, please reply back and clarify. I would be more than happy to assist you in whatever linux or windows questions you might have.
Reply:Dunny,


I'm glad I was able to help you out.... if you have any more ubuntu questions, feel free to contact me via my profile. I will try to help the best I can





~InthenetSC Report It



No comments:

Post a Comment