Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What do I need to do to run Unix or Linux from an external hard drive?

I've just started a computer course and have been told to get Linux or, even better, Unix on my computer. I've got some advice and decided to install it onto my external hard drive. However, I'm pants with computers and have no idea how to do this. How is it possible to save an OS to an external hard drive? How does it boot? Will it run if Vista is on my computer's hard disk? Will the programs I've got on Vista be available in Linux/Unix? Could doing this screw up my computer? I hope this gets across how clueless I am. Could someone answer these questions and give me some step by step instructions for how to install it please? Would be appreciated! Cheers.

What do I need to do to run Unix or Linux from an external hard drive?
i use linux, the cd's are called distro's... (distributions) theres dozens of em, all free and all slightly different...





if your new to this try linspire xp2007, its dead easy to use... set your PC to boot from the CD, and thats it...





looks like xp, behaves like XP but it doesnt crash... and all the associated software is free
Reply:Ask your instructor. I assume you are paying for the privilege of studying computers. Get something for your money - not shaky guidance from unknown, questionable sources on-line.


No comments:

Post a Comment